lunedì 19 maggio 2014

Ravenna: the city of the stunning mosaics

My friends, welcome to My Own Italy to discover Italy with my personal touch!

Our travel today is to Emilia Romagna and we are going to visit the capital of the Western Roman EmpireRavenna, the imperial city, the Byzantium of the West, located a few kilometers from the Adriatic Sea!


Ravenna extends from the sea to the rolling hills of the Apennines and preserves the most beautiful and richest evidence of early Christian art

The gorgeous mosaics  are a must: they are the characteristic feature of this amazing city!





Ravenna, as mentioned, is the ancient city elected for three times as the capital: the Western Roman Empire before, the United goto then under Theodoric, and the last of the Byzantine Empire in Europe.
 




 

 
 The magnificence of that period has left a great heritage of monuments: the buildings that have been declared Unesco World Heritage are eight!

 In Ravenna there are the mortal remains of the poet Dante Alighieri,  whose tomb can be visited, and keeps alive the memory with important events.




The cultural offer of Ravenna is really rich and varied. I personally was blowled over by the Basilica of San Vitale and the adjacent Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, but I did not miss even the Basilica of St. Apollinare Nuovo!



Also I couldn't miss a visit to the historic city center in Ravenna, from Piazza San Francesco to Piazza del Popolo, passing through the ancient Chiostri of the Franciscans.

 In the end, in my holiday after visiting Ravenna, one of the Cities of Art nominated in 2019 as European Capital of Culture, I could not pass up the opportunity to taste the specialties of Romagna par excellence: the Piadina.

That's why, if you are looking for a place where to eat, my suggestion is this typical restaurant: Ca' de Vén!

Leisure with me, this is my tourism!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento